To compete and thrive in the 21st century, democracies, and the United States in particular, must develop new national security and economic strategies that address the geopolitics of information. In the 20th century, market capitalist democracies geared infrastructure, energy, trade, and even social policy to protect and advance that era’s key source of power—manufacturing. In this century, democracies must better account for information geopolitics across all dimensions of domestic policy and national strategy.
In the 2020-2021 academic year, we will prioritize policy-focused proposals on:
(1) The Arctic Ocean (e.g. addressing environmental issues with a focus on marine litter, including plastic pollution, ocean acidification and biodiversity; natural resource management and efficient utilization of marine resources; international and scientific collaborations and challenges and opportunities for indigenous communities); and
(2) Infrastructure in the Far North (e.g. connectivity; tourism; transportation; shipping; and renewable energy in remote communities – including environmental and economic impacts and exploring ways to increase the resilience of and sustainable development for local Arctic communities and the ecosystems upon which they depend).
The Arctic Initiative is a joint project of the Environment and Natural Resources Program and the Science, Technology, and Public Policy Program at the Belfer Center and fellows will interact — and collaborate — with fellows from both programs, as well as with faculty, visiting policy makers, and other experts at the Belfer Center and the Harvard Kennedy School.
- CV/ Resume
- Unofficial transcript (pre-doctoral fellow applicants only)
- Research statement (3–5 pages)
- Writing sample (less than 50 pages)
- Should be one published or unpublished piece written by the applicant (co-authored pieces not accepted) in English that will demonstrate his/her English-language writing ability
- Can be a journal article, book chapter, dissertation chapter, white paper, etc. you have produced in your field
- Contact information for 3 recommenders submitting letters on your behalf